McLean County State’s Attorney is apparent winner in judge’s race

McLean County State's Attorney Don Knapp
McLean County State's Attorney Don Knapp(WJBC Radio, Bloomington)
Published: Jun. 29, 2022 at 1:53 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

PEORIA (Heart of Illinois ABC) - McLean County’s chief prosecutor is likely to become a judge this December after his opponent conceded defeat in Tuesday’s primary.

State’s Attorney Don Knapp is the presumptive winner of the Republican primary over Associate Judge Amy McFarland for a judgeship in the 11th Circuit that covers McLean, Woodford, Livingston, Ford, and Logan Counties.

Logan County had not posted election results on its website as of 1 a.m. Wednesday, but Knapp garnered 59% of the vote from the other counties to McFarland’s 41%.

No Democrats have entered the race, so Knapp is likely to become a circuit judge in December, replacing retired Judge Paul Lawrence.

Knapp did not declare victory, but McFarland conceded defeat and thanked her supporters in a Facebook post.

“It is an honor to serve as presiding judge for the family division and recovery court in the 11th Judicial Circuit. I look forward to continuing to serve the citizens of the 11th Circuit as an associate judge by applying the laws of Illinois and the constitution, and leading with the principles of fairness, accountability, integrity, and respect.”

McFarland had won the endorsement of 14 retired judges in the 11th Circuit including Lawrence.

Knapp cited several endorsements on his website, including from McLean County Sheriff Jon Sandage, and State Rep. Dan Brady, who won Tuesday’s Republican primary for Illinois Secretary of State.

The McLean County Board appointed Knapp in August 2018 to replace then-State’s Attorney Jason Chambers who also became a judge. It’s up to the county board to pick Knapp’s replacement as chief prosecutor.

Copyright 2022 Heart of Illinois ABC. All rights reserved.