Rome home total loss, woman escapes after house fire
ROME, Ill (Heart of Illinois ABC) - A resident of a home in Rome got out safely after a fire Wednesday morning.
Chillicothe Fire Chief Marvin Roderick says the home in the 15000 block of North River Beach Drive is a total loss; the roof did cave in.
A report from the responding sheriff’s deputy says that the homeowner plugged in an extension cord and then the wall by the plug engulfed in flames.
She tried putting out the fire, but it caught other items nearby on fire.
She lived in the home with cats. Firefighters say at least one cat got out.
6 departments were called in to help fight the fire.
The call came in around 10:25 a.m.
Copyright 2022 Heart of Illinois ABC. All rights reserved.